Call for Papers
The 2020-2021 CURIO symposium will showcase undergraduate research and creative activity that was undertaken by students in the College of Arts and Humanities. All presentations will be delivered through a video format submitted by the presenters. Our staff will take the videos and load them into a YouTube channel to be made available from our CURIO 2021 Symposium webpage on Creative Commons. A panel of judges will review all presentations and select winners in each presentation category. Winners will be awarded cash prizes.
March 26: Deadline for
- Submission of video presentation and
- Submission of a photograph of the presenter and
- Submission of the signed release form and
- Selection of a Creative Commons License for the video presentation that will be permanently archived on the CURIO Creative Commons website.
April 14 and April 15: Presentations will be posted on YouTube and the comments section will be open for audience engagement with presenters.
April 23: For each presentation category, winners and their mentors will be notified of their prize winnings with instructions for how to retrieve the prize.
May 3: CURIO will officially announce all prize winners.
- Practice your presentation before recording. It will help if you create a script or, at minimum, a very detailed outline
- Your recording should be no more than 10 minutes and visually decent.
- Aim to explain your project, results, and significance in a manner that is accessible to an educated non-specialist audience
- Try to avoid jargon or, if you must, make sure you define your terms
- If you use slides, keep them clear and concise and avoid making them text-heavy
- If you will appear on camera, dress professionally
- If you are filming yourself have the light behind the camera, not behind you (this applies to sunlight through windows as well)
- Speak clearly and with energy
Share or Upload Your Video File
All video files should be in .MOV or .MP4 format.
We will include a portrait of each presenter on the symposium page. The best photos will be portrait style taken from the shoulders up (but we can crop, if necessary). Photos will be uploaded/shared into the same google form as the videos.
All photos should be in JPEG format.
The name, username and photo associated with your Google account will be recorded when you upload files and submit this form.