Download Full Text (6.5 MB)
George Washington Hardcastle and wife Ann arrived in Savannah during the week of 20 august 1843. He worked at his occupation of wheelwright, eventually entering business for himself in 1850. Mr. Hardcastle expanded his business and built the present building at 30-38 Montgomery St., Franklin Ward. After a series of loans from the Oglethorpe Mutual Loan Association, Mr. Hardcastle sold his business in 1856. During his entrepreneurship, he was involved with the fire department, International Order of Odd Fellows, Clinton Lodge No. 54 (Ancient York Masons), and the Georgia Militia. After Divesting himself of the business, he was a delivery clerk and then a news agent. A minor Skirmish with the law in 1868 and a small robbery at his news stand are the last known about Mr. Hardcastle. No death date was found.
Freeman, Cynthia A., "George Washington Hardcastle: A Biography in Savannah" (1979). Savannah Biographies. 230.