Download Full Text (2.2 MB)
John Murchison was born August 11, 1793 in Lochalsh Parish in the county of Ross, Scotland, came to Savannah in 1820, and became a naturalized citizen of the United States December 1829. On March 22, 1836 he married Mary Ann Summers Purse in the Lutheran Church of Ascension, and they had two children, Mary Ellen and James Wallace, ho died at an early age of scarlet fever. To his family Murchison as a devoted husband and father. He also ran a grocery store on Market Square and became a successful business man. In later years he was a stockholder to the Central Railroad of Georgia, the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad, and the Augusta and Savannah railroad. He was a member of the St. Andrew's Society, the Union Society, the Union and States Rights Party, a lifelong member of the Independent Presbyterian Church, and at one time a director for the Merchants' and Flanters' Bank. In 1851 he built a house on Lot 30, Pulaski Ward which is still standing at 114-116 West Jones Street. He died in Savannah August 30, 1869 of tuberculosis after having retired several years earlier. He was survived by his wife Mary Ann, his daughter Mary Ellen and her husband Cornelius D. Rogers, and their children(Mary Ellen's and Cornelius's) from whose lines may be traced living descendants of John Murchison.
Price, Karen, "A Biography of John Murchison" (1977). Savannah Biographies. 192.