Files

Download

Download Full Text (284 KB)

Collection Abstract

Administrative Records of Henry Ashmore. (1920-1989, bulk 1965-1982) 48 linear feet. Correspondence, memos, reports, publications of the College, newspaper clippings, speeches and minutes of meetings of Henry Ashmore,

The records are arranged into three series:

Series One: Correspondence

Series Two: Minutes of Meetings

Series Three: Miscellaneous

Date of Gift

1989

Start Date

1964

End Date

1982

Keywords

Henry L. Ashmore, History

Disciplines

History

Scope of Collection

The records fully document Dr. Ashmore's administration of the College, his work with educational organizations, civic groups and his personal correspondence. Dr. Ashmore's correspondence with Armstrong administrators, faculty, Chancellor George Simpson, and other university system officials form the bulk of the record. The record group documents the College’s and University System’s responses to directives from the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) to desegregate the University System of Georgia which began circa 1971 and lasted through Ashmore’s administration.

While the bulk dates of the records are 1962-1982, the Ashmore Papers contain records dated from 1920-1989. Some records are from earlier periods in the College’s history. Series 1/3 under "faculty" includes President Forman Hawes’ correspondence with faculty members. Series 1/3, "Alumni Association" includes minutes and correspondence of the Alumni Association from 1942. Annual reports, Student Publications, publicity materials and newspaper clippings from the earlier history of the College are found in Series Three.

Henry Ashmore left his files intact in the President's Office when he retired in 1982. The files were moved to storage on campus. The boxes were labeled and sealed and some work on their arrangement had been done. Eventually Dr. Janet Stone, a professor in Armstrong's History Department, rescued the records from storage in order to use them in writing a history of the University. With no place on campus to work on them, the records were housed at the Georgia Historical Society for a time. There, the records were organized (they were in some disarray) by Dr. Stone and her assistant. Each box was given a number and box listings were created. The box numbers and container lists have been maintained and incorporated into the present arrangement. The boxes were stored in Janet Stone's office until being moved into the Lane Library in 1999 and accessioned into the University Archives. Several more boxes of Ashmore records were relocated from storage to the University Archives in 1999. All of Henry Ashmore's Armstrong records are now housed the University Archives, arranged and described in this finding aid.

Copyright

This work is archived and distributed under the repository's standard copyright and reuse license, available here. Under this license, end-users may copy, store, and distribute this work without restriction. For questions related to additional reuse of this work, please contact the copyright owner.

1-49 Administrative Records of Henry L. Ashmore, 1964-1982

Included in

History Commons

Share

COinS